Monday 14 February 2011

Do the shuffle

Is there such a thing as "shuffle" on any form of digital music player?  If I ask my pc to play stuff at random from it's quite considerable library of music, I invariably end up with much the same stuff as the last time I asked.

Is there some kind of malignant virus lurking in the bowels of my HDD that decides (and this is a completely arbitrary affair) that what I really want is yet another offering of Fat Bottomed Girls (the song, I hasten to add) as opposed to, say Chris Isaak's 'Wicked Game'?

This virus (and let's call it Darren, just for the sake of giving it a name) also resides in my I-Phone (Oooo.  Get Me.  I gotta posh gadget.)  The strange thing about this revelation is that I actually created playlists on my phone, and yet Darren still manages to give me Fat Bottomed Girls when I really wanted Thin Lizzy's "Dancing In The Moonlight".

"Delete 'Fat Bottomed Girls'" you say. 
"Righty-o" I say.
"No more 'Fat Bottomed Girls', eh?" you say.
"Nope.  Just endless plays of 'Dancing In The Moonlight'" I say.

This random shuffle thing doesn't really exist.  It's all down to what Darren wants.

  • Darren is no fan of classical music, hence Barber's 'Adagio For Strings' never appears on my shuffle. 
  • Darren can't spell Tchaikovsky, so that's "The Nutcracker" gone west.
  • Darren detests Country & Western (I must admit to feeling some empathy there), but Crystal Gayle has a pretty enough voice and deserves even a modicum of airplay.
  • Darren doesn't recall the 'proper' 60's, so he'll only allow "Ferry 'Cross The Mersey" and "Delilah".  Classics such as "Go Now" (the window lickers anthem (private joke - you know who you are)) and "Anyone Who Had A Heart" just gather ether dust.
  • Darren must be a proper Queen fan.
Darren does have one redeeming feature:
"Angels" and "I'd Do Anything For Love" have never featured on my shuffle.  (See previous post).

I know I could just delete all the stuff that gets overplayed in shuffle mode, but I also know full well that Darren still wont give me my Adagio, and even worse, I honestly believe that "Fat Bottomed Girls" is indestructible.

No comments:

Post a Comment