Tuesday 29 March 2011

Misses and Missus

There are things that all of us must miss in life. 

Some may miss the days when their particular football team were the top dogs in the league.  Some may miss their local picture house showing the latest Hollywood releases.  Some may miss pints of lager after discovering they are gluten intolerant.  Some may simply miss people.  I fall completely and unerringly into the latter group on two fronts.

Firstly, I miss my dad.  He shuffled off this mortal coil (no doubt complaining about the injustice of it all) over a year ago.  I don't miss him in a weepy kind of way.  I miss him when I hear a stunningly good piece of music (something like Adele's "Someone Like You") and want to share.  I miss him when I just want to chat.  I miss him whenever I hear The Carpenters.  I miss him as a man.  I miss him as my dad.

Secondly, I miss my Lottes.  Half of my life is wrapped up in her and it hurts to be so far away.  I can't watch the music channels anymore.  I can't write daft things on the steamed-up windows anymore.  I can't watch 'Friends' anymore.  I can't dance at parties anymore.  I can't share fish fingers and chips anymore.

I still have the most treasured thing in life all wrapped up in the beauty that is "My Steffi", and for that I'll be eternally thankful, but I really can't wait for two thirds of my life to become complete again.  In three short weeks we travel to foreign climes to be as one again, albeit for a ludicrously short time.

The Three Musketeers will ride again, and just in case you're reading this dad, you can be D'Artagnon for the duration!

No comments:

Post a Comment